shanidar

Shanidar is reading...

Professional geek, crafter and shoemaker by day. Avid reader, Doctor Who fan and nerd all the time.

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming
Mike Brown
Sock Knitting Master Class: Innovative Techniques + Patterns from Top Designers
Ann Budd
About Time 1: The Unauthorized Guide to Doctor Who
Tat Wood, Lawrence Miles
Patternmaking for a Perfect Fit: Using the Rub-off Technique to Re-create and Redesign Your Favorite Fashions
Steffani Lincecum
Diana Gabaldon
La fortuna de los Rougon
Émile Zola, Esther Benítez

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs Have you ever felt dizzy when you end a book? You know, this feeling like waking up from a strange and vivid dream of which you don't want to wake up?
This is one of these books that put you in the mood.
It stuck me until the end, jumping in the sofa whenever I heard any sound at home, wanting to read more and more. It is very well written (though it appears "Billy" in the middle of a scene where there is no Billy... in fact, there aren't any Billys in all the book!) and the author knows how to get you caught in the flow.

Surely influenced by the cover, initially I thought that this will be a truly scary story... but tough the tension of some scenes, it is mainly a gothic adventure for young adults with lots of freaky characters.

Anyway, it is ideal to read in one sitting, in a quiet and raining afternoon.

When you finish it, you'll rate it with 4 stars. No doubt. But when you sit to do the review and think about the plot... you realize you've given the stars to the wonderful afternoon you spent with it, not to the story per se.
The action doesn't begin until the third part of the book, and the end is open, bringing you to the author's bio to know when will he finish the next one. You don't need to know how it follows, you need more of this mood.
Another lovely thing of this book are the vintage pictures that illustrated it, and inspired most of the characters... Had I know it, I would not have bought the Kindle edition!

Is "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" original? Surely is not. Blend a bit of X-Men, time-traveling, Doctor Who and child nightmares and you get it.

But anyway: I loved it.